GutGuide conducts research uncovering the connections between mouth and gut microbiota to different microbiological disorders.
GutGuide´s research focuses on individual mouth and gut microbiotas and their connections to different disorders. GutGuide cooperates with universities´ research groups. Based on the research results new analytical methods, tools and microbiological products are developed.
Research areas in focus
- The balance of gut microbiota and its connection to obesity, celiac disease, fatty liver, rheumatoid arthritis, IBS, IBD and diet.
- The balance of good and bad bacteria in the mouth of adults and children
- The connection between inflammation and bad breath to the mouth microbiota of pets.
- Product development of different microbiological products for different target groups.
Analytical methods and tools used
- Patented flow-cytometric detection of bacterial families and species especially from faecas and saliva
- Easy-to-read mouth and gut Indexes (GutIndex and MouthIndex) which determine the personal microbial balance in relation to average adults.
- Home test which allows a sample to be taken at home and be sent to our lab via normal mail. The sample stays unaltered for 5 days in our GutGuide- sample solution. Results and recommendations from our professionals arrive in one´s personal account within 2 weeks from receiving the sample.
- Viabilty analysis of different forms of probiotic products (viable and dead cells analyzed)
Already developed products
- ProVillus lactic acid bacteria product
- Xylo-oligosaccharide XOS fiber
- Toothguide product family
- BifidoMAX -raw chocolate bar containing beneficial bacteria
Vaahtovuo J, Korkeamäki M, Munukka E et al. Quantification of bacteria in human feces using 16S rRNA-hybridization, DNA-staining and flow cytometry. J Microbiol. Meth. 2005;63:276-286.
Vaahtovuo J, Korkeamäki M, Munukka E, Hämeenoja P, Vuorenmaa J. Microbial balance index – a view on intestinal microbiota. Livest. Sci. 2007;109:174-178.
Vaahtovuo J, Munukka E, Korkeamäki M et al. Fecal microbiota in early rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:1500-1505.
Munukka E, Leppäranta O, Korkeamäki M et al. Bactericidal effects of bioactive glasses on clinically important aerobic bacteria. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 2008;19:27-32.
Munukka E, Wiklund P, Pekkala S et al. Women with and without metabolic disorder differ in their gut microbiota composition. Obesity 2012;20:1082-7.
Munukka E, Pekkala S, Wiklund P et al. Gut-adipose tissue axis in hepatic fat accumulation in humans. J Hepatol 2014;61:132-138.
Mäyrä A ja Munukka E. Tasapainoinen suolistomikrobisto on väylä terveyteen. Ravitsemus 2015;3:26-27.
Mäyrä A. Suun ja nenä-nielun alueen mikrobiston vaikutus terveyteemme. Ravitsemusasiantuntija 2015;1:18-20.